Friday, April 6, 2007

Making a Splash


I'm sure everyone wants to make their first blog post a real zinger. What to write about? What intellectual or cultural subjects to plumb? What aspects of the universal psyche shall we address?

Baby Alive.

Yep. That's my springboard to the web. Baby Alive. This was the hot item for Christmas 2006. It was also the only really significant thing on our 5 year old's list. Every store in the city was sold out. We trolled ebay, but couldn't bring ourselves to pay the extortionate prices. So like many other parents, my husband and I sweated bullets wondering if Toys R Us would get one in before the 24th. They did, and my husband abruptly left work at 10 in the morning to race over and plunk down $50 for what has to be one of the oddest looking dolls ever (and in one of those gosh-I-wish-I'd-been-there moments, he said he walked in, found the first person he could with a name tag and said "take me to Baby Alive.")

We debated whether Santa would bring Baby Alive on Christmas morning, but ultimately we decided that since we'd gone to so much effort procuring said baby, we ought to get the credit. And it was good credit...the kind of credit usually reserved for grandparents and wealthy aunts.

So now my daughter's childhood dream is fulfilled. Baby Alive lives, eats, drinks and poops at our house. And in one of life's little ironies, my daughter is freaked out by the green poopy diapers, so I get to change Baby Alive in addition to the real live (and often poopy) baby we already have. My darling girlfriend, Angie, said "and that's why Kaitlyn didn't get Baby Alive. I am not changing a doll's diapers."

I know. It's dumb. Why would I, already responsible for the wiping of several assorted bottoms, take on another source of poo? It's simple: because I never got a Baby Alive when I was a kid. And I really wanted one.

No doubt this will come back to bite me in the butt, but just last week my daughter said "Thanks mom for getting me Baby Alive. She's the best baby ever!" The credit just keeps rollin' in.

No comments: