Wednesday, May 4, 2011

If I Had a Hammer...

I am frayed around the edges today, pulled in 6 different directions, feeling like I am only half getting things done. Committments are fulfilled, but not to perfection and certainly not with good grace. And then, at the end of Day 3 of the Week of Total Craziness, the neighborhood clique strikes again.

My boy went over to see if he could get in on the pick-up baseball game going on in the yard behind ours. The game in which every child in the neighborhood is playing. Even preschoolers. Even 2 year old Lola. The game hadn't quite started, but my boy was told, "no, you can't play."

Why do they do this? I have asked myself this question over and over because it happens a lot and it ONLY happens to my son. The only answer I can come up with is this:

Because they can.

It's some kind of school-age power play, this ability to exclude at will anyone they feel like. And they've decided, by some complicated process of social dynamics, that my son is The One.

And it hurts.

It hurts him. And it hurts me to watch it. I have never seen this kind of consistent exclusion in children. It is so wantonly cruel, so purposefully targeted, so relentlessly evil. And I have to watch him weep when the do it over and over and over.

I hate them.

I wish I were back in 2nd grade. I would so kick their butts.

No comments: