Sunday, November 18, 2007

Wendy Whiner

I know I am. I know I am petty, and shallow and worldly and probably very, very sinful into the bargain.

But I hate my new kitchen.

I also hate all the dark, heavy oak trim that's around every door and window in the house. Likewise the heavy dark oak chair rail in the dining room, kitchen and entryway. Also the heavy oak vanities in the bathrooms. And I really hate the white ceramic tile on the floor. Hate it all.

I should be thanking God for the space, thanking God for the reduced price which allows us to live there without going broke. Should be dancing a jig at the thought that I will finally have a closet large enough for all my clothes, on and off season. But I'm not.

I feel like all that I've worked to accomplish here, all the style and grace that it took me so long to infuse this house with is gone in an instant, replaced by a big ugly yurt of a place with absolutely no style at all.

And I know, because I've gone through this before, that I am going to have to fight for every little improvement. And I'm going to have to wage war for the not-so-little improvements. And I am already thinking, how long do I have to live here?

This is not good, when you haven't even moved in yet and you're looking for an escape clause.

No comments: