Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Gaps in My Childhood

Was driving home from the mall this morning when Maggie started melting down due to complete and utter starvation. Stupid Mommy once again left the house without a scrap of food and all three of us were perishing. To soothe screaming baby, I started singing children's songs -- you know, the songs you learned as a kid. I sang the ABC song and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (did anyone else notice that these are the same tune?) then moved on to Row, Row, Row Your Boat and Frere Jacques (which I can sing in English, French and German -- ha!) and then I stalled out. Surely there are more kid songs than this, surely we sang lots of other stuff in the pre-Raffi days, didn't we? But the question, for me, remains: what did we sing?

Beats me. I know my mom made us listen to a lot of Barry Manilow, but I'm certainly not inflicting Copa Cabana on my kids, or worse yet, Mandy. I get nauseous just thinking about it.

When my kids were tiny babies I mostly sang Christmas carols to them, because that's all my sleep-starved brain could remember. I might not have known my own social security number, but I could sing Good Christian Men, Rejoice with only four functioning brain cells.

Sure wish I remembered my childhood a little better.

No comments: