Monday, July 28, 2008

Library Rage

Went to a special storytelling time at our local library when the kids' host from our local PBS station was speaking. The kids were so fired up about the library after his talk that we got in line so they could sign up for their own library cards. This was when my baby decided to stage a revolt. She screamed, she writhed in my arms, she shouted "DOWN DOWN DOWN!" until I finally let her stand next to me.

That's when she bolted.

Naturally, the five year old thought it was a game and took off after her, so I grabbed my oldest, said firmly (and loudly) "Stay right here!" and went after them.

I got back 30 seconds later to find that the woman who had been behind me had taken my spot. That's right, she CUT IN FRONT OF A 7-YEAR OLD.

I mean, come on -- what is so rushy rushy that you have to CUT IN FRONT OF A 7-YEAR OLD to complete? And don't go fooling yourselves that she thought I wasn't coming back. If you've ever met me, you'll know that I am not blessed with a soft and gentle voice. My voice CARRIES, especially if I am trying to impress upon one of my children that I expect complete obedience to whatever I'm saying. And since my baby was putting on a circus sideshow for the benefit of everyone in line, there is no chance at all that she wasn't watching, in the same way we can't help looking at a traffic accident when we drive by it on the highway.

I was beyond mad when I got back; for a mother (she was with two quiet, well-behaved girls) to so utterly betray another mom like that...it just floored me. To be so lost to any sense of decency or fair play... I wanted very badly to say something to her, to at least make her acknowledge that she had CUT IN FRONT OF A 7-YEAR OLD, but since I was with my children I chose to keep silent. I thought it was more important for them to see me handle it all with whatever grace I could muster, rather than watch me go off on a total stranger. And that total stranger very assiduously avoided any eye contact with me as she left the library. Oh yeah, she knew exactly what she'd done.

So lady, wherever you are, I hope you're happy with yourself. I hope, too, that as you're lying in bed tonight, replaying the events of your day, you realize with blinding clarity that you modeled a complete disregard for other humans in front of your daughters; a total lack of principle, compassion and integrity that I seriously and uncharitably hope comes back to bite you in the very near future. You taught them a big lesson today. Way to go, champ.

No comments: