Tuesday, June 3, 2008

More Musings

Yesterday we scored some early-evening childcare, so we did the most romantic thing we could think of after 11 years of marriage. We went over to our old (still unsold) house and tidied up the yard.

Naturally, the garden was lush, overflowing with massive peonies, poppies, 4ft tall columbines, and the first of the roses.

Don't believe me about the columbines? They were a self-seeded batch of "black" Barlows and they've never been that tall before. Don't know what got into them this year.

It was so beautiful and so depressing, I came home very blue -- the kind of blue where you either have to sit down and place a major order with a plant nursery, or you have to eat a lot of ice cream. Since we have no money and no ice cream, I was up a crik, as they say.

What I have right here, in my new house, is chicken scratch compared to what I had at my old house. And I know that that garden is 9 years old, that it's evolved pretty extensively, that it was made at a time in my life when I had lots of disposable income and no children to keep me from doing what I wanted to do, at least from a gardening perspective.





This is a hastily cut bouquet of Abraham Darby (middle top), Mary Rose (left) and Sydonie (2 right bottom). Sydonie is one of the ones I couldn't take a cutting from last fall and I'd so like to take one now, but am not sure I have room for it -- it gets about 5 feet tall with branches that arch over and make it about 6 feet wide. So pretty, all covered with blooms. The bud is Comte du Chambord, which is finally looking excellent after 9 years of sulking. Naturally, it outdoes itself the year I move.

I have been moping all day, missing my garden and all the little maintenance tasks that I so liked doing -- pruning and dividing and deadheading and otherwise fussing over everything. I think I just need to get started here, do something to give myself a feeling of hope that this garden can be at least as enjoyable as my old one. It will never be the same, and I probably need to find a way to just let that go, but it's hard when you've poured so much sweat into a place.

I need to just take hold.

No comments: