Thursday, May 10, 2007

Out of Contention

I am having one of those days.

The kind of day that really started last night, when I didn't get to bed until midnight and am now paying for it.

In a burst of the purely retributive kharma that accompanies child-rearing, the children always wake up earlier on the morning after you go to bed late. Even if you had a good, totally legitimate, responsible reason for staying up.

So everyone was pretty much awake by 6:30. Except me. I don't officially wake up until at least half of my morning coffee has been consumed. I am actually reaching a sort of zen stage with early rising, wherein I can make breakfast for the kids without being strictly conscious, per se. But not this morning. This morning I had yelled at everyone by 6:45 and by 7 was wondering whether it was possible to actually drown myself in my coffee mug or whether the heat would make me pull out prematurely.

I opted to drink it instead and the caffeine rush carried me through lunch. But now it's what Douglas Adams used to call the "long dark tea time of the soul"-- those last 2 hours before Daddy gets home and I am no longer a single parent. And Tim just called to tell me he might be late, so my personal twilight zone may last longer than anticipated.

This was not welcome news.

It doesn't really help to know that if I'd just gone to bed earlier, I'd be in a lot better shape than I am now.

I'm gonna write and withdraw my nomination for MOTY later today. At least I won't have that pressure hanging over me.

No comments: